Instrumental Music - Woodwind, Brass, Percussion Concentrations, B.M.E.

Requirements for a Major in Instrumental Music - Woodwind (Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone), Brass (Trumpet, Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba), Percussion Concentrations

Forty-five semester hours including:
MUS 1111Flute-Saxophone1
MUS 1112Oboe-Bassoon1
MUS 1113Clarinet1
MUS 1114Trumpet-Horn1
MUS 1115Trombone-Baritone-Tuba1
MUS 1116Strings (for nonstring players)1
MUS 1119Percussion 11
MUS 2260Elementary Conducting (Music Education Elementary)2
MUS 3260Instrumental Conducting2
MUS 3136Instrumental Methods I1
MUS 3236Instrumental Methods II2
MUS 4219Marching Band/Jazz Pedagogy2
Applied Music
Fourteen semester hours applied concentration. Credit earned for applied music study may not be used to satisfy degree requirements until candidate is officially admitted to the School of Music. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Dean of the School of Music.14
Four semester hours secondary applied (Piano Level IIs). Must have a grade of “C” or above in all secondary piano courses. 24
A minimum of seven semesters of large ensemble; enrollment in ensemble in the major performing area required for every term in residence, except during the student teaching semester. Enrollment in marching band is required during the first two years of residency.7
Four to five semester hours chamber music (four hours for woodwinds/brass and five hours for percussion)4-5
BME Recital
Supportive Courses
Thirty-one semester hours music core31
Total Hours76-77

Percussion majors do not have to take MUS 1119 Percussion.


The s in Piano Levels indicates that the curriculum in these levels is designed for secondary piano students.