Grading Policies

Grading System

Grades for graduate students are:

Grade Grade Points
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- .067
F 0.0

If a grade of C-, D+, D, D-, or F is made in a required course, the student must repeat the same course at Baylor and make a grade of C or better to meet the degree requirements for graduation. In addition, a C-, D+, D, D-, or F will not apply toward the total number of hours for program completion, but will calculate in the student’s grade point average. A Graduate course in which a student previously received a B-, C+, or C may be repeated when a petition is approved by the Graduate Program Director and Graduate School.

The grade point average (GPA) is calculated by totaling the number of grade points earned and dividing by the number of credits applied toward the GPA. The resulting grade point average is truncated following the second decimal (e.g., 1.99672=1.99). The university does not round the GPA. This method of calculation is used for all academic purposes such as academic standing, graduation, and scholarship eligibility.

The grade of “I,” incomplete, may be given only when the completed portion of the course work is of passing quality. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the course requirements and to see that the incomplete grade is removed from the record. A student may not graduate with an “I” incomplete on their transcript. The incomplete grade will change to an “F” when the student reaches their time limit, is certified to graduate, or withdraws from the program.

Students may not register in a course other than 5V99, 6V99, or scientific research for which they may already carry a grade of incomplete. Students who receive one or more incomplete grades during a semester may have their schedule for the following semester reduced by the number of hours of “incomplete” received. In certain practicum-oriented and internship-based courses in the major or minor field, a grade of “Pass,” “Fail,” “Credit,” or “Non-credit” may be given, provided the grading system for the courses has been approved by the Graduate School, and has been coordinated with the Registration and Academic Records Office prior to course offering. Students registering for dissertation (6V99) or thesis (5V99) will receive a grade “Credit” or “Non-credit” rather than a letter grade. A student may be given an “I” in dissertation (6V99) or thesis (5V99) until the work is completed and successfully defended.

Change of Grade Policy

Changes to grades may be initiated by the instructor of the class and must be approved by the department chair and the dean of the Graduate School (with notification to the dean of the school in which the class was offered). Changes to grades may be initiated by an instructor when the original grade resulted from an error, the original grade was an Incomplete, or in cases where the student’s performance was affected by extenuating circumstances. Changes resulting from an error or extenuating circumstances may only be made within one calendar year of the original grade assignment and may not occur once a degree has been conferred or the student’s time limit has expired. Further, changes to Incomplete grades may be made only in compliance with Graduate School policies on Incompletes (see policies below).

Beyond changes to grades for reasons stated above, changes may occur when initiated by the Provost based on the finding of a violation of academic integrity or when a grade is successfully appealed through the appropriate process. The one-year time limit does not apply to these changes.

Policy for Changing Incomplete Grades

  1. Baylor Policy requires that incompletes be removed from the student’s transcript when the student graduates, withdraws from the program, or their time limit has expired, with the exception of dissertation (6V99) or thesis (5V99) hours. The Graduate School will administratively initiate the change of grade form to change the incomplete to an “F” if the instructor has not already submitted the change.
  2. The instructor of record for the course may require the student to complete the course and remove the incomplete at any time prior to the Graduate School deadline as stated above. The instructor may not exceed the Graduate School deadline unless a formal extension to the student’s time limit has been petitioned and approved by both the Graduate Program Director in the student’s department and the Graduate School.
  3. A student may be given an “I” in dissertation (6V99) and thesis (5V99) until the work is completed and successfully defended. Once completed and defended, the instructor of record will submit a change of grade changing the “I” to “CR” for semesters in which the student registered for dissertation (6V99) or thesis (5V99).

Academic Appeals

The function of the University Academic Appeals Policy and Procedure is to hear student complaints of unfair treatment by members of the faculty.  Details of the student grievance procedure can be found online in the University Student Policies and Procedures, at