Grading Policies

Grades, Grade Points, and GPA Calculation

The grade point average (GPA) is calculated by totaling the number of grade points earned and dividing by the number of credits applied toward the GPA.  The resulting grade point average is truncated following the second decimal (e.g., 1.99672=1.99).  The university does not round the GPA.  This method of calculation is used for all academic purposes such as academic standing, graduation, and scholarship eligibility.

Grade point status can be modified only by work done in residence at Baylor; courses may not be repeated at another institution for transfer credit to Baylor.  For certain degree requirements, it is expected, and usually required, that a failed course be repeated.  It is frequently advisable and sometimes necessary to repeat a course in which a grade of "D" has been earned. See regulations regarding course repetition in this catalog.

Grade/Symbol Description Grade Points Included in GPA? Credits Earned?
A 4.00 Y Y
A- 3.67 Y Y
B+ 3.33 Y Y
B 3.00 Y Y
B- 2.67 Y Y
C+ 2.33 Y Y
C 2.00 Y Y
C- 1.67 Y Y
D+ 1.33 Y Y
D 1.00 Y Y
D- .67 Y Y
F 0.00 Y N
I Incomplete n/a N N
IP Incomplete Extension n/a N N
W Withdrawal n/a N N
P Pass n/a N Y
FA Fail (Pass/Fail) n/a N N
CR Credit--Satisfactory Completion (Credit/No Credit) n/a N Y
NC No Credit--Unsatisfactory Completion (Credit/No Credit) n/a N N
AU Audit n/a N N

Incomplete Policy

Incompletes should be used when unforeseen circumstances arise that prohibit students from completing assignments and/or exams toward the end of the semester.  (Incompletes typically occur because of an excused absence from the final examination or permission for extension of time to submit a report or term paper).  The “I” must be removed by the end of the next semester (including the summer term).  If the work is not completed and a final grade submitted by that deadline, then the “I” will be changed to a grade of “F.”  An extension of time petition may be submitted for any course in order to extend the deadline (up to six months) for resolving the “I” prior to it lapsing to an “F”.  An extension must be initiated by the instructor and approved by the department chair and dean of the school in which the class was offered.

Grade Change Policy

Changes to grades may be initiated by the instructor of the class and must be approved by the department chair and the dean of the school in which the class was offered (with notification to the dean of the school through which the student is currently seeking a degree).  Changes to grades may only be initiated by an instructor when the original grade resulted from an error or when the original grade was an Incomplete; such changes may only be made within one calendar year of the original date that the grade was due and may not occur once a degree to which the course was applied has been conferred.  Beyond changes to grades for those reasons, changes may occur when initiated by the Provost based on the finding of a violation of academic integrity or when a grade is successfully appealed through the appropriate process(es); the one-year time limit does not apply to these changes.

Academic Appeals

The function of the University Academic Appeals Policy and Procedure is to hear student complaints of unfair treatment by members of the faculty.  Details of the student grievance procedure can be found online in the University Student Policies and Procedures, at: