Requirements for a Master of Arts Degree in History
- GPA and GRE scores predictive of success in the program.
- An undergraduate major in history, or at least eighteen semester hours of history at the undergraduate level with a degree in the humanities and social sciences or twenty-one semester hours with other degrees.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement outlining area of historical interest
- Writing Sample
- Thirty hours of history, including HIS 5369 The Historian's Craft and HIS 5370 Advanced Graduate Research and Writing and a six-hour thesis.
- At least eighteen hours, exclusive of thesis, must be 5000-level courses, and students must take at least one course in each of the three areas--American, European, and global (i.e. non-western or Latin America).
- Students may choose to take up to six hours of their coursework from one of the following departments: English, Museum Studies, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Religion, Psychology, Social Work (6000-level only), and Sociology.
- Demonstrated intermediate proficiency in one modern foreign language by one of the methods listed in the Specific Degree Requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy degree in the General Information section of this Catalog.
- Satisfactory oral defense of the thesis.